CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 22

Scary and Wonderful






I've been starring at this blank "new post" page for a few minutes now, not knowing what to say... Last week, as most of you know, Wyatt was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. It was scary, and wonderful. Let me explain...

Wyatt had been so fussy, just continuously begging for sippy cups filled with milk, he would cry for sometimes and hour when I would put him down for a nap. He wanted to be held all the time and never wanted to eat meals with the rest of us. He would just pick at food here and there. After talking with my mom about his sippy cup habit, I looked online for advice from other moms on bottle dependency...which led me to a website asking "Is your toddler drinking too much?...signs of type 1 diabetes..." I started to worry, even told Matt about it that night. But convinced myself that I was worrying too much. He is two after all, they can be fickle!

A few days later, We went to Sacramento for the evening, and my mom was watching the boys...Wyatt wouldn't go to sleep, and had thrown up. When we picked him up at midnight, he was still awake with my mom and Bill in the living room. We took them home and he stayed up crying almost the whole night, when he wasn't crying he was lying there not being able to fall asleep. He threw up again twice, so we called Hanh, my step mom. She suspected diabetes as well, so after an unofficial checkup from her, we went to the ER at Mercy that Saturday morning. His blood sugar was well over 500. They quickly confirmed our worry of diabetes. That was one of those slow motion moments in your life when you know things will never be the same, and there is no going back. I flew down to UC Davis with Wyatt in the jet, and we arrived about 5pm. Where he got started on an insulin drip and fluids in the Ped ICU. From then on, lots of dazed and confused question and answer sessions, queasy feelings of watching them taking blood and restraining my son.

Once the initial wave of shock was over, Matt and I had to cram every bit of knowledge into our heads as we possibly could about Type 1. It was all so confusing and complicated. I am not what you call a number's person, and with diabetes, it is definitely a numbers game...so it took a while for it all to make sense.
Then Wyatt started feeling so much better, he was riding around on a car all over his floor, the nurses were getting a kick out of his silly personality. Every time they would come in his room, he would immediately say "all done". He was so cute. We eventually made it home on Tuesday.
There is so much planning, checking the clock, calling the doctor, and constant monitoring that we realized me working at the salon wasn't going to fit in with our new way of life. So as of Saturday the 27th, I will be closing All Tangled Up. It is a little disappointing, because I worked so hard to build my business, but my boys and their health, are of course more important. Since I will not be bringing in any significant income, we will also be moving to my mom and Bill's house. I feel really great about being able to concentrate on Wyatt's needs without the financial stress. We were planning on making this move when Matt got into the academy, so it's just a little sooner then planned, but not totally unexpected. I can also focus on my artwork, and try to get more pieces done so that when the opportunity presents itself, I can be in more art shows.
Wyatt will spend his whole life as a diabetic, but it will be all he knows, he is so young that this will just be the way it has always be, which does give me some comfort.

The wonderful, beautiful part in all of this, at this was God's plan, he knew this would be a struggle in our lives, even in the high stress day of flying him down to Davis, I just kept praying and praising our Father. He is so good. This is nothing he can't handle, and is leading us on this path for ways we cannot see. But I can honestly say, I am excited for the future and what He has planned for our family. I am letting Him show me what to do and walking boldly through these doors that He has opened .

Psalm 25 4-5

Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD;
point out the right road for me to follow.
Lead me by your truth and teach me,
for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you.


5 comments:

Steven L. Ritter said...

Great Blog... All will be well...

You will always have our prayers!

Tim Scarbrough said...

I was very moved and inspired by this blog. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Love your thoughts, so much to sort through. You guys are doing great!

Joel and Leslie said...

Great testimony Tricia. It is so comforting to know that even though we can barely see day to day, God has already laid out a plan.

We will keep praying for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Tricia-thank you so much for sharing your emotions. I am blessed to read your closeness to our Father and I too can't wait to see what He really has in mind when it comes to the future for your family.